7.03.2007

For Some May Push, and Some May Pull

Since we are leaving Rawlins in 2 weeks I decided we better get in gear and hit all the hot spots we haven't made it to in the past 16 months. The first on our checklist was Martin's Cove. We hopped in the ol' Saturn and headed north. It was a warm day here in Wyoming so we left late in the afternoon. We took a quick tour of the Visitor's Center and then checked out a handcart. We loaded our water, backpack, books, camera, and Bridger into the handcart and headed for the trail.


Bridger was a great traveler. He just hung out in the cart and read his books. About a half mile up the trail Rusty told me to hop in with Bridger to see what it was like with more weight in the cart. It was kind of fun to get a ride from Rusty but it sure was loud.

We made it to the cove where the rescuers took the stranded and weary saints. It was beautiful that night, all green with grasses and trees, but as I thought about what it would have been like that early November day I couldn't imagine the pain, hunger, and sorrow those people felt.


This simple road trip gave me a new perspective on life. I have been so wrapped up in selling our house, figuring out what to store for 3 months, what to keep with us for 3 months, and dreaming about the new house we will be moving into, that I've forgotten I'm lucky enough to even have these blessings. Those pioneer women didn't have a choice of what to take; they took a change of clothes, a mending kit, the Book of Mormon, and a plate with utensils and that's about it!! They didn't know where they were going and they most certainly didn't have a house ready for them when they got to the end of their trip. This humbling experience changed my state of mind and will stay with me forever...I am thankful to have so many blessings in my life.

1 comment:

pamela said...

what a neat experience!