11.13.2007

TURKEY LURKEY

OK, Justin, this is for you!!

If you're not interested in hunting stories or pictures go ahead and skip this post...sorry. This weekend we made a state-wide road trip to Aladdin, Wyoming for some deer and turkey hunting. It was a LONG DRIVE, 10 hours, filled with Rusty quoting lines from "Jeremiah Johnson" and "The Cowboys". Now, I love Rusty, but you can only take so much when it comes to Robert Redford and John Wayne impressions!! The only compensation for all the movie lines was the beautiful scenery we saw along the way.



The town of Aladdin is like something out of a book. It's population is 15, FIFTEEN!!! The only buildings there are a Post Office/Bar/General Store (all in one building) and a small motel. Inside the store it was like "Little House on the Prairie", it had everything you needed, even candy in big ol' barrels, (I could just see Half Pint asking Pa for some candy). It was fun to take a look inside and we bought Bridger a "wooden nickel" for a little souvenir.

Now, my expectations for this hunt were not too high considering my last 2 turkey hunts and the disappointments I had with them. Some people may say that turkeys are dumb, but I would have to disagree. These birds are pretty smart and won't let you get near them. Hunting these little guys is more difficult than you could imagine. To make a long story short, me and Rusty hid in the trees while his little brother Andrew pushed the turkeys right to us. It was amazing, almost like a cartoon, with the turkeys running down the hill, their heads bobbing up and down!! They came right to us, I stood up, aimed the shotgun, and with one shot I got my turkey!! It was amazing, sort of a miracle. I was so happy and Rusty was so proud of me!




Now, hunting really isn't my thing; I got my Hunter's Safety a couple of years ago because Rusty really wanted me to. Even though I go bird hunting reluctantly with Rusty every year, I always have fun and find myself growing a bit as I do something out of my comfort zone. Thanks for all you do hun, I love ya!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Nice shot, Anne!

Tristie hearts Dax said...

i tried to comment, but i don't know if it worked. i love this post! you are quite the well rounded gal, from shopping and pedicures, to shotguns and turkeys...you rock!

pamela said...

wait... you shot a bird? who are you!! what has happened to anne! had we only been able to see you wielding a gun back in 7th grade.